Saturday, October 11, 2008

Making Bread

Making Bread



The other day as I was wiping the counters and sweeping the floor, decluttering papers and washing my sink I came across some overly ripe bananas that had been gracing my kitchen island for a few more days than I appreciate. I'm no fan of overipe fruit, particularly bananas.


As I was about to toss them into the trash, I stopped and thought better of it. 'I really should make some banana bread,' I told myself. But I didn't want to take the time, nor did I want the temptation of any scrumptious carbs lying around to tempt me.


I have a weakness for carbs, particularly breads. Though cinnamon rolls are my favorite type of 'bread,' I like pretty much any type as long as it's not rye or pumpernickel. But sweet breads are an especial favorite of mine. Banana bread is in that classification.


It would make a good snack for my children, I thought, as I argued with myself. I decided that was reason enough to do the baking. Tyler had wandered in from making a few messes of his own, both inside and outside of the house. I decided maybe I could distract him from that and he and I could have some bonding time while the other kids were in school.

When I asked him if he wanted to make some bread, the answer was an immediate, "YES!" As I got out the mixer, a large mixing bowl and some ingredients Tyler scooted over a chair from the table.

After the eggs, sugar, flour and a few other ingredients were out I turned around to see Tyler doing this:





When I asked what he was doing, he said he was "Making Bread." Apparently his idea of what type of bread to make was different than mine?

6 comments:

Julie said...

Why do bananas go bad so fast? I have a bunch (no pun intended) in my freezer waiting to be put into banana bread.

Kids are so darn cute when it comes to baking...especially at that age. I remember Emily pulling a 2 liter of diet pepsi out of the fridge when I told her I needed baking soda!!

Sorensens said...

That is so cute, I love it! Banana bread is one of my favorites too and I hate waisting banana's so I always try to make bread out of them also.

Denise said...

ROFL! That is adorable! I really like your new sidebar pics, too. Hottttt!

Krista said...

Funny! That is just like my kids. They take things in a concrete way and see it much different than I do. Cute.

Carolee said...

That is too cute!!

I should make some bread myself. I have made banana bread before but never with chocolate chips. That sounds really good, I am going to have to do that:)

Crysty said...

That's just precious! CUTE little guy!